Monday, July 29, 2024

I Am Legend (30/54) - More Original Eclipse comic adaptation art by Elman Brown (1991)


I know what you're thinking. Didn't we already cover original art from the comic adaptation? Yes we did. And you'll recall, one of the things I lamented in that post was not purchasing the page that featured the portrait of Neville that became the iconic image of the adaptation for me. 

So imagine my surprise when, just days from the 70th anniversary of the novel's publication, I got an email from Steve Niles letting me know that he came across a box of the original art, and asking if I might be adding any more original pages to my collection. It was an opportunity I wasn't going to pass up, and I was able to negotiate a deal to add nine more original pages to the archive!

The first pages bookend the two pages I purchased previously showcasing the iconic fire pit from the novel. The first when Neville finds the dead bodies in his yard after the prior night's assault; those which he would ultimately take to the pit.


I particularly loved this rendering of one of the dead female vampire in the shrubbery.


This page follows immediately after my two page spread of the pit, as he tosses another body in, before driving away thinking of his daughter Kathy. 



My first request was to acquire the page I had regretted passing on previously, which thankfully was still available. Even though it's not the original illustration, it's still an amazing page. 


I felt it was only appropriate to get a page that featured Cimarron Street, and the opening of Chapter 9 did just that.



The following page is an important one in the story — where Neville takes note of all of the different documented means of dealing with vampires.



I added several pages featuring Ben Cortman, including this portrait page.



And I also acquired the two page spread featuring Cortman's death at the hands of the new society.




I particularly like the panel with the axe, which has a decidedly Bernie Wrightson look to it. 


While I had already purchased the final page of the book, the preceding page features the first line that I think of, when I consider the book's final lines, "A coughing chuckle filled his throat."


But even more importantly, this page featured Neville's realization.


I was extremely fortunate to have had the opportunity to pick up these original pieces decades after I had purchased my first three, and I'm pleased to be able to share them with you here.

Come back next week for another item from my I Am Legend Archive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment