Monday, April 22, 2024

I Am Legend (15/54) - Original Eclipse comic adaptation art by Elman Brown (1991)


If memory serves, one day many years ago, I stumbled across an original page of the I Am Legend comic adaptation for sale on eBay. Before jumping on it, I wrote to the seller and asked if they had other pieces available, and it turned out it was the author of the adaptation selling pages, and he had most of them.

I poured through each issue of the comic to see which pieces resonated with me the most, and I identified four. One of which had the art that had originally attracted me to the adaptation, two made up a two-page spread of Neville bringing the dead vampires to the pit, and the fourth was the final page of the adaptation.

While all four pages were available, the first page didn't actually contain the original portrait of Neville that I was so fond of — it just contained a photostat of the image. As a result, I passed on that one (in retrospect I should have just bought it as well), but I did pick up the other three.



I liked the 'pit' scenes as they showcased Brown's cross-hatching work to great effect, and the dimensionality of the clouds of smoke rising up. The two pages are additionally signed by Brown, and dated '91.




I selected the final page for the obvious reason that it includes the book's title. Spoiler alert.




Check back next week for another item from the I Am Legend archive.

No comments:

Post a Comment