Friday, September 20, 2024

Creature from the Black Lagoon (37/54) - Archie Comics Judgment Day Variant Cover Limited 2nd Edition (2024)


Most folks aren't aware that the Creature from the Black Lagoon made two cover appearances on Archie comics in the early 60s: Jughead #79 and Laugh #130. Ten or so years ago, low grade copies could be found at reasonable prices. These days, when they do turn up, the prices are outrageous. Hence, I don't have either of those in my collection.

I am the proud owner of a recent homage cover variant from a new Archie horror comic, Judgment Day. Unfortunately, I missed out on the 1st edition, which was limited to 50 copies (and an additional 25 'metal' copies that were only available in a two-pack bundle), but I was able to pick up one of the 2nd edition (limited to 75 copies) for the collection.


I would be remiss not to include the original Creature cover for comparison (note the absence of body parts — thanks a lot, Comics Code!):


Here's the back of the homage variant, with a nice foil label with the statement of limitation:


And just for laughs (Laugh?), here's the Creature's 2nd original Archie cover appearance:


Be here next week for yet another oddity from my Creature collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment