Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Godzilla (17/54) - Bandai Chogokin GD-98 Mechagodzilla 1975 (2006)


I always thought the concept of a mechanical Godzilla was cool, even if I didn't buy that this design could fit inside a skin that for all sakes and purposes looked like the Godzilla we know and love from the outside. This particular example of the character is in fact Mechagodzilla 2, from the 1975 film Terror of Mechagodzilla.

The Showa-era (1954-1975) version of Mechagodzilla is my second favorite design for the character. The Heisei era Mechagodzilla became too rounded for my tastes, but the Millennium-era Mechagodzilla returned to his roots, and in my opinion, enhanced the original design to make it look even cooler. You'll see some examples of that one in the weeks ahead! (And we won't even discuss the Legendary Films poor attempt at Mechagodzilla.) 





I don't remember when exactly I picked this figure up, but it was a throwback to the Japanese Godzilla toys that I saw here and there, but never owned. And as with a lot of things in the collection, the price of these has shot up considerably in the years since their original release, so I'm glad I grabbed it when I did!

As you can see from the box art, there's a lot going on with this figure, from swappable parts (such as post-fired rocket-finger hands, a flight-mode head, and a block-knocked-off laser-emitting brain/stump!). On top of all that, he's very nicely articulated.





Proudly displaying his MG2 designation right on his sleeve!


Watch out — he's locked and loaded, including this high-voltage electromagnetic beam emitting port that opens up in his chest!


In addition to the head being removable, clicking a spine on his back spins his head around (if this makes no sense to you, it might be time for you to revisit Terror of Mechagodzilla!). Check out that crazy head-spinning action below!


Be here next week for another item from the Godzilla collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment