Sunday, January 21, 2024

Godzilla (1/54) - Bandai Theater Exclusive Meltdown Godzilla (1995)


I can't tell you when I was first exposed to Godzilla, but it would have been during the early 70s, when it was common that a variety of Godzilla films might air of the course of a week in that television sweet-spot — the afternoon hours after school was out and before it was time for dinner. 

My fondness for all things Godzilla was rekindled when I started picking up the films on videocassette in the 80s, searching high and low to track down the official releases (when most could be had for about $9.99). This covered the films of the Showa era (spanning from 1954 through 1975), plus the 'reboot' which landed in the US as Godzilla 1985. Once I had collected them all, I was inspired to assemble a Godzilla viewing guide for the 8th issue of our magazine, The Scream Factory (our 'giant monster issue!'). Though limited by the source material I had available to me, I rated the films based on their content, and tracked and reported on Godzilla's actual screen time in each film. 

While working on the article, word got to me about the release of a new Godzilla film in Japan. And thanks to a Japanese model shop in San Francisco (that's amazingly still there, 30+ years later!), I was able to score a VHS copy of the film (sans subtitles or an English dub). Despite my not being able to follow all of the specific plot details, I fell in love with Godzilla vs Biollante. Not only was this the coolest Godzilla design to date, Biollante was the best original foe he faced since Gigan was introduced almost 15 years earlier. The Heisei era of films would continue on for the next few years, and it was during this period that I really became a devout Godzilla collector. 

For my first Godzilla post, I have selected one of my favorite pieces from my collection. I had been picking up the Bandai vinyl figures of Godzilla as the new films were released, and in 1995, I saw one of the coolest yet was being offered. Celebrating the end of an era, they released a theater exclusive Burning/Meltdown Godzilla figure, molded in orange vinyl with red highlights. I loved it for its unique take on the character, and also because it represents a pivotal moment in the film Godzilla vs Destoroyah. (which I won't spoil for you, but the tag on the figure is far less polite). 





It was the most expensive Godzilla figure I had purchased up to that point, but I don't regret it, as it's still my personal favorite almost 30 years later (I do kick myself for NOT picking up a three-foot tall version released with a similar color design — but one day I'll find one that's affordable!).


Check back on Wednesday for my next Godzilla post!


1 comment:

  1. Oooooo! So cool! My own collection is pretty modest but I’ll be interested to see if we share any Godzilla Goodies….

    ReplyDelete